Monday, February 05, 2007

Imagine...

I was listening to the radio in the car the other day and the lyrics to one of the songs I heard has been bugging me ever since. We listen to the Mesquite Schools radio station KEOM most of the time since Jeremy is on the radio in the mornings. They play music from the 70's, which is usually always fun to listen to and to reminisce about. But that day, the song that came on really bugged me. The song was John Lennon's song, Imagine.

I have never been much of a John Lennon fan so I've never paid attention to the lyrics in his songs. Now I know why. The very first sentence in that song is "Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try". I couldn't believe what I had just heard. I then continued to listen to the rest of the lyrics. Pretty incredible... and not in a good way!

I understand that a lot of people think he was great and all about peace. While I'm for peace, his song is, in the words of my son, ridiculous. First of all, it is not easy in my mind to imagine there is no Heaven. To say there is no Heaven, is to say there is no God. If you just look up toward Heaven, to the sky, the sun, the moon, the stars, the clouds, the rain falling, the (sometimes here in Texas) snow falling, the beauty of the sunrise and the sunset, the brilliant colors of the rainbow or the pink, purple, bluish color the sky gets when the sun is going down... how can you look at all of those marvelous things and say it's easy to imagine there is no Heaven, no God. Not to mention the birds, the trees, the flowers, the mountains, the oceans, the beautiful landscapes that surround the countryside at every turn and the breeze that blows so gently on a cool summer's day.

I don't know about you, but I cannot look at all these things and imagine there is no God. I look at these things and all I can imagine, is how great, awesome and magnificent God truly is. To live in John Lennon's world you are called to merely exist. No interaction with God's wonderful creation, no conflict ever - of any kind, just merely existing.

I don't want to just merely exist. I want to enjoy everything God has placed on this earth for us to enjoy. I don't mean the physical things, although those things are nice too, but I'm talking about the things of this world He created. The beautiful landscaping, the wondrous skies, the sunrises and sunsets, the wonderful animals, the oceans and all the wondrous creatures who live there and the way the breeze feels blowing in through your windows during Fall and early Spring. With all the amazing things He has done for us on Earth, I can't even imagine how magnificent Heaven will one day be. So... easy to imagine there is no heaven? Not for me! I can't wait to someday see Heaven in all it's glory and be able to enjoy it while sitting at the feet of Jesus. Now that's something to Imagine!

6 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Amen to that!!!

I couldn't help but think of Psalm 19:1-3 when I read your post.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard."

I love seeing God in nature. I just have to slow down enough to do it sometimes....

Blessings & thanks for the thoughts

Neva said...

Liz
Loved the post. I have been thinking similar thoughts. Check out snowcrystals.com and see how awesome this creation of God is. I found the website the other day and had to immediately thank God. He is indeed wonderful. And I don't want to imagine any life without Him.
Peace,
Neva

Lynn Leaming said...

Liz,
Several years ago I read or heard a quote that went something like this "if it took God six days to make the earth and it is this beautiful and Jesus said 'I go to prepare a place for you' and that has been over 2000 years, how much more glorious is heaven going to be than even this earth and its beauty." I agree we can only imagine! Thanks for the post that helps us keep our eye on the prize.

TREY MORGAN said...

Hey ... heard that song today on the radio and thought of you and your post. See I can learn something.

Danna said...

Liz,

I have become more aware of God's beautiful creation with two certain individuals running around my house. It is so hard for me to look at something and not see God in it. It just puzzles me the way people can twist things around and doubt there is a God. One of my favorite things to do it sit and watch it rain. I love to feel the water fall, see the lighting, hear the thunder and smell the rain. I cannot help but think that God made storms like that just for me to enjoy and in the process water the area. I just look at it as a special blessing on top of all my other special blessings! Tell everyone hello. I love you guys!

Terry Rush said...

Liz,

Keep up the "all" you do for so many!

I love you today!