Monday, June 04, 2007

Keeping Your Focus

The weather lately (in between the rain :) , has been great for motorcycle riding. Lots of sun and just great to be outdoors and feel the wind in your face. While I was riding the other day, I realized something that is very different from when I am driving in the truck (or the cage as another motorcycle friend likes to put it! :) It's my focus. It's almost completely different.

When I am driving in the truck, if I'm going to be gone for a while, I don't like to listen to the radio much. I love listening to music, but I have grown to love those times as quiet times. I like to reflect on things going on in our life. I sometimes use that time to pray specific prayers or just talk to God about everything going on. It is a quiet time and a restful time. I sometimes get so caught up in just thinking or contemplating that I sort of go on autopilot and sometimes either forget where I'm going or just end up some place different as I'm sure my family would love to attest to. :)

When I was on the motorcycle the other day, I realized that I don't do that on the motorcycle. When I'm on the motorcycle I am completely and totally focused on what's going on all around me. (Which is a very good thing if you have read the previous post about me being an idiot driver magnet!) Anticipating the moves of others and keeping my focus completely and totally on the bike and being safe. You sometimes get lost in the ride, but you never lose your focus.

It made me realize, if I can be that focused while riding, why is it so hard to stay focused on other things in my life? How is it that I can get so distracted while studying my bible, while praying, while doing any number of other things spiritual or otherwise? What if I was able to channel that type of focus into every aspect of my spiritual life?

If I were to focus my spiritual life in the same way that I focus while riding on the bike, wow, how much better life would be. Not that I necessarily feel like my spiritual life is in a bad place, but I know that I am way too easily distracted. What things do we all focus on? I'm sure it may be different for everyone. I'm going to try and be more intentional about making sure my spiritual life, is just as focused as my motorcycle riding. I can't wait for the ride God is ready is take me on!

But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge - do not give me over to death. Psalm 141:8

2 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Liz,
I like your new blog look! I too get really frustrated when I am praying and then my mind wanders from what I am praying about to something else. I am hoping if maybe I change the time of day I pray it will help me focus better. I know you will do better because God says He will give us the desires of our heart and now that you have verbalized it, He will enable you.

Neva said...

Liz,
I like the new digs!
I have only been on a motorcycle once or twice in my life but I know the feelings of being out on the road noticing everything magnificent in the world around me and feeling amazingly grateful for all of it.
Good post
Peace
Neva