Thursday, October 02, 2008

Called to be a Servant

As I have mentioned recently, I feel God is calling me to new places in my life. A couple of weeks ago we sang the song "Make Me a Servant" in our Sunday morning worship. It's a song most all of us are familiar with. We sang a second verse to it that has really been on my mind. The verse is...

Open my hand Lord, and teach me to share
Open my heart Lord, and teach me to care
Service to others is service to You
So make me a servant Lord make me like you

That verse has really caused me to think about a lot of different things.

We are all taught as children to share. We have the me and mine syndrome and learn how to share with others. I think as adults we sometimes forget that; at least I sometimes do. We are so blessed in this life and while I do try to do what I can for others I sometimes get caught up in keeping things to myself and not always sharing what I have. It's not that I want to keep it for myself, it's that I sometimes don't want to take the time it sometimes takes to share. Sharing doesn't always mean sharing things, it means sharing of ourselves and of our time... Lord, teach me to share.

The next line open my heart Lord, and teach me to care. That really is bothersome to me. I have always thought of myself as a caring person. But if I am not reaching out to others and sharing what I have with them, does it mean that deep down I don't care? Does it mean that my heart is not open to God's people around me? Lord, teach me to care.

I so want to be more like God. Lord mold me into who you want me to be... Lord make me like you.

Yet, O LORD, you are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter,
we are all the work of your hand.

Isaiah 64:8

Blessings!

4 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Great post Liz. God has been speaking those same thoughts to be of late. I just told Steve yesterday that for Christmas this year I would like to take all the money we would spend on gifts for ourselves and family and find a family that we could bless. We all have so much, why just get more when there are others who barely have anything? I have been learning ths last year that I don't have to serve God in big ways, there are plenty small ways, so I am trying to be obedient to that right now. Thanks for the reminder. I am really missing H.O. worship. I just love it there, but Steve isn't ready to leave RE, and that's okay because they have been really good to me.

Becky said...

"Service to others is service to you" That is a sobering measuring stick. I have been so concerned lately that we become an outwardly focused church, when in reality, I need to focus on becoming outwardly focused myself.

preacherman said...

Wonderful post and words for us all. It is my prayer that more and more Christians over this next century will become, truely become servants of Jesus Christ. I believe that if we strive on making committed disciples of Jesus Christ then this become a reality. Which it think so wonderful. I want to thank you for sharing this blog with us. Keep up the great work you do with your blog. I hope you have a great weekend.

Terry Rush said...

It is fun to be in the most exciting system ever designed: the kingdom of God. How magic to fit in to something most meaningful.

Good post, Lizabeth.

I love you today!