Thursday, October 09, 2008

The Sound of God

The sound of God is not something you really think about; at least I hadn't until recently. I was reading in Genesis 3 and right after Eve has been deceived by the serpent it says,

"Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden."

We've all read those scriptures about a million times. Every time I've read it I've always thought about the verses that come after it where it says they were afraid because they were naked so they hid. But this time when I read it, what stuck out to me was "they heard the sound of the Lord". I started thinking, what is the "sound" of the Lord? The rest of that phrase says as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day. That for me sounds like a great word picture of God. There is something so peaceful, so soothing, so calming about walking in the garden in the cool of the day. And as I thinking about walking in that type of setting, it immediately makes me think about God. When I'm walking in nature in the cool of the day is one of the times I feel the closest to God.

But what is the sound of Lord? Would I know it if I heard God walking beside me? I know we hear God in all types of ways. Through the music we listen to, through something a friend may say to us, through a sermon, etc. But Adam and Eve "heard God" walking in the garden.

Am I walking close enough to the Lord that I can actually hear Him when He's walking with me? What would it sound like to actually hear God walking with me? I know that God walks with us every day, but to think about actually hearing God puts things in a different perspective for me. We may not always hear God walking with us as Adam and Eve did, but He is still there. What are we subjecting him to as He walks with us. Would He be proud to walk along side of us? Or would he be embarrassed or ashamed?

As I walk through my life and begin to think more about God walking along side of me and more about what God sounds like when He walks with me, I hope that the places I choose to walk, will make Him proud to walk along beside me.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Terry Rush said...

Lizabeth,

What you wrote and what I just wrote fit together. Happy to find your thoughts from a different, yet, terrific angle.

Love you today!

Lynn Leaming said...

Liz,
I loved this post. I too wish I would just sit and be quiet long enough to hear the sound of God, and even more to hear him singing over me as Zephaniah 3 says he does. I too had never seen that verse in Genesis. Thanks for brining it to my attention. I love how the Holy Spirit reveals new things to us in the Word all the time. Have a blessed weekend!