Monday, June 12, 2006

Why Worry or be Anxious

I was reading Tim Spivey's blog today on relaxing. (http://www.timspivey.com/) It got me to thinking about how hard it is to sometimes relax. For me, I seem to have so much on my mind, that I sometimes feel like I can’t relax. Satan puts so many distractions in our life to try and keep our focus off of God. At least he seems to in mine. I believe one of the biggest distractions that Satan throws at us is worrying. Matthew 6:34 says, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." The ESV says, "“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

For me I think I'm more anxious than what I would call a worrier. But ultimately, I guess they are both the same. Satan tries to fill our minds with all the what ifs and the what if I do this rather than that, and all it does is cloud our minds with meaningless worry, anxiousness and fretting. We do we not seem to remember the awesome God in which we serve. I feel like my faith is strong, stronger than it's ever been, but still I let Satan throw his demons of doubt, worry and anxiousness into my life.

I pray for a faith that can overcome those distractions that Satan so cleverly puts in our path. I hate the way he even seems to invade my prayers, when there is something heavy on my heart. I find myself even while I'm talking to God and turning things over to Him, saying what if this or what if that. Fortunately, I catch myself in those thoughts and beg God not to let Satan steal anything from me that our awesome God wants to bless me with. But it makes me feel that maybe there is something in my faith that is not as strong as needs to be. I feel sometimes like the father whose son was healed of the evil spirit in Mark 9 when he say's to Jesus "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" We want to turn things over to God, but Satan wants us to hang on to even one little bit of it. Because in doing that, we aren’t truly letting God control the situation and be master of our lives the way He wants to be.

I want to be so full of the spirit of God, that I do not let Satan fill my head with his demons of worry and anxiousness. I want to be like the man who says "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Because what God has to offer us is so much more powerful and intimate and wonderful than anything Satan can throw in our path. If we truly let God take control, He can do amazing things. But He doesn’t need our help. We have to be willing to give it ALL to Him. 2 Corinthians says “9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” I know that God works through these weaknesses in our lives so that He can fill us with His power. I just don’t want to limit His power in me by my unbelief.

John 1 says...1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. ESV

Praise God for His light that overcomes ANY darkness!

No comments: