Saturday, September 02, 2006

Trying to Balance Life...Is There Such a Thing?

Dayschool starts next Tuesday...and I'm finally ready!! Yeah!!! As good as that is, it has created a new problem for me. I guess not really so new, I battle it off and on pretty frequently depending on what's going on in my life. When I get involved in something, I give it my complete all. So much so that it's almost like everything else in my life ceases to exist. It's like that's all I can focus on. I even wake up at night thinking about it and lose sleep.

During the last month, I was working almost 8 to 10 hours a day at school just getting everything in the room ready, getting curriculum ready, running copies, etc. I don't say that to brag or anything at all. I say that because I seem to let it consume me... and not in a good way. I come home and I'm completely exhausted so of course my house suffers because I just want to sit down and relax. I'm sure my family doesn't get the best of me during these times either. I try to not let it carry into my family but when you are physically exhausted you don't always show them the compassion they deserve. Any most of all my spiritual life suffers, which of course in turn affects everything else in my life. I spend so much time working on or doing what I am so engrossed in at the time that I either almost forget about studying the word because all I can think about is finally going to bed, or I just fall asleep trying to study. And I can definitely tell when God's word is not close to my heart.

I get so tired that on Wednesday's it would be so easy to just stay home. But I try to always go no matter how tired I am. And I am always so blessed by the words of God and I am always so glad that I went. I always feel that way about being in the word as well, but my tiredness tends to get the best of me. I've talked before in small groups about this very thing, but it's usually been involving someone else.

I am not a morning person. I'm the person who lays in bed until the last absolute second before getting up. Which generally works for me, I can usually still get everything done in my day and most importantly make sure I have the time to spend alone with God. But at these times when new things get thrown into the mix, I somehow seem to lose all sense of prioritizing and balance. I like things to be finished and completed so it gets hard for me to just leave things and come back to them later. I guess if I'm going to have any semblance at all of balance in my life, I'm going to have to learn how to prioritize my life or maybe schedule my life a little better. I don't like who I sometimes become when I let God fall to the back burner. I always pray, but my time in God's word suffers. I know that He needs to be the focus of my life no matter what else is going on and I can't let Satan change God's place in my life. So here's to seeking a more balanced life, that begins and ends with God!

1 comment:

Bev Ross said...

I love hearing about what is going on in your life! Sounds like a lot! I am again revisiting the concept of Sabbath - all over Luke! Please let me know when you get this key to balance down - I need some tips - ha!
Love you and miss you!